The "Sky Kingdom" is a quasi-religious commune located in the eastern Malaysian state of Terengganu.
Its founder and leader is Ayah Pin, formerly known as Ariffin Mohammed (or Mohamad). To his followers, Pin is a reincarnation of everyone from Shiva to Buddha or from Jesus Christ or to Mohammed.
Pin himself claims to be God. Sky Kingdom's stated aim is to promote interfaith understanding.
The commune would not seem out of place
in a Disney theme park. It contains an umbrella-shaped building about two storeys high, an ornamental fishing boat, strategically located faux Greco-Roman pillars, and the centrepiece - a pink teapot.
Ayah Pin and his followers - he claims to have several thousand in Malaysia, Singapore, Bali and beyond - say the two-storey-high teapot was inspired by the dreams of one of the cult
's followers, and reflects a similar vessel in the sky which God uses to shower his blessings on mankind.
Followers who come to the village for the first time have to drink "holy water" pouring from a giant vase that is perpetually filled by the teapot.
The cult does not have any moral or religious strictures of its own. Instead, Ayah Pin, whose real name is Ariffin Mohamad, says members can follow any religion they like. He claims that all prayers will be answered by none other than himself, because he is God.
"All religions are basically the same," says Ayah Pin through an interpreter. "God teaches love. He is for anyone who wants to know about the world. You can choose whichever religion you want."
Ayah Pin in front of the Pink Teapot
- Sydney Morning Herald
A sidebar to a news story in The Star, a Malaysian newspaper, explained the buildings and structures on the Sky Kingdom property as follows:
The Sky Kingdom is said to be
a version of similar structures found in the sky. But the structures in the sky are apparently more aesthetically pleasing since they are decorated with diamonds, sapphires, and other gemstones.
- Teapot - represents purity of water.
- Vase - to accept water flowing from the teapot. The vase is said to have healing properties.
- Well - it supplies water to the teapot.
- Rumah Bulat - where Ayah Pin meets his guests.
- Rumah Nasyid - where followers chant.
- Dewan Perhimpunan (Assembly Hall) - where followers hold gathering and meet Ayah Pin on weekends.
- Wakaf (Shelter) - place to rest and recuperate
- Boat - it is said to be Bahtera Nabi Noh (Noah's Ark)
- Pathway - to the assembly hall and graveyard
- Graveyard of Mohamad Ya (Aug. 11, 1950 - Oct. 3, 2003). He was an apostate who conceptualised the design of the structures in the Sky Kingdom based on his "visit" to the Sky Kingdom in the sky. Ayah Pin later build the structures costing more than RM5mil [About $1.3 million].
- Crescent - symbol for people who do not have any religion including Orang Asli and Orang Bunian.
- Umbrella - a place for people to take shelter beneath God. It can also be associated with the nine planets in Hinduism.
Source: Wife No 4 has no regrets marrying Ayah Pin, The Star, Malaysia, July 6, 2005
In This Entry
About This Page: